Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fishing On & Around the Island

While I am not a fisherman, I do notice that there are a lot of fisherman on our beautiful island this time of year. I love to walk the beach in the early morning with my dog Razz and watch the sunrise over the water. It is during these morning walks that I see and talk with fishermen from time to time. While I haven't experienced the thrill of casting my line into the ocean and feeling the tug of a flounder or spot, it must be quite an experience to get all the fishermen up at the crack of dawn .

Now I don't know the difference between a Virgina mullet and a red drum, but I do read the paper. Below is this week's fishing report direct from Captain John Carty of Affordable Charters as reported in the Island Gazette: On the piers, a few spot, Virginia mullet, bluefish, flounder, black drum, red drum, blowfish and some small croaker. In the surf the red drum have been very plentiful, even some 25 to 35 pounders at night. Some good catches of speckled trout, flounder, black drum, blowfish, Virginia mullet, bluefish and a few gray trout. Inshore, red and black drum, flounder, speckled trout, Virginia mullet, small croakers, and a few gray trout. Offshore, we have no report due to heavy winds. Fishing tip of the week: Surf fishing has been very good this past week. We went and had large catches of red drum with double hook pier rigs with number 4 hooks and using shrimp for bait. The red drum ranged from 5 lb. to 10 lb and they really put up a good fight on a limber rod. Just remember the limits and don't keep anything you aren't gonna eat.

Well, that about sums up this weeks fishing report. Stay tuned, and I'll try and report what's being caught from time to time.

No comments: